Friday 24 October 2008

TFI Friday


Just watching the 'news' and I've just been informed that after 16 years of economic growth we are now heading for a full fat recession. Wow, what a great start to the weekend.

‘What are you doing on your lappie watching telly at 7am?’ I hear you ask, well Ellis has gone on a school trip to France (well, it is only 20 odd miles away so why not?) and so was instructed to convene at half blooming six this morning, oh the joys. I don’t mind, Eli was so excited, however we got to school, in the dark and were the first ones there. As we sat in the car and watched everyone else turn up it did occur to me that I was probably the only parent that had left two children in bed, home alone. It wasn’t a choice I took lightly and I could have ask for another parent to collect Ellis for me, but the school is half a mile away so I was gone for only ten minutes. I’ve done my research and I know that it’s not illegal to leave children alone, apparently you may leave your kids at whatever age you deem appropriate. I often leave Luke to do a quick shop or footie run, but never leave Max. I did today cos I weighed up the situation and fortunately all was fine. Max and Luke slept soundly and NOTHING HAPPENED! I'm one of those mums that doesn’t like asking for help and I'm the mum that always has other kids in the car. I'm going to be collecting Eli from the docks later and picking up two of his friends too. I don’t mind at all, however I really do mind it when some parents take the piss and don’t offer lifts back. I mean there is one lovely boy that I always take to football but his mum never offers to take Ellis, ever, and I’ve never even seen her, let alone had a thank you. And yes, I do go out of my way, dragging my other children around too. I think she’s single, with a few kids and maybe she thinks that I have a husband at home to help out, and that it’s her right to be helped. Humph!

I helped someone very close to me yesterday, nasty job, upsetting, tiring but very worthwhile. I did it as they’d done something to help themselves and so I felt that I should encourage that. I'm not a mug but I will help anyone who tries. And after a year of trying to encourage positive behaviour from this person I think I'm getting through, hope to god I am. Might write more on that subject one day.

I’ve got to go and rouse Max and get myself ready for another day in the office now, whilst all the time ignoring there’s less money coming in and more money going out. Still, it’s Friday, which means I’ll see MM tonight and we’ll surely drown our stressful week in Chilean Merlot aplenty!


(Photo is of a French sunset I took this summer)

No comments: