Monday 20 October 2008

Extended weekend

Back to school and work Monday. Most of us don’t have any problems with getting up on a cold, dark Monday morning. I do easily cos I need to earn a crust to feed the clan. Luke the sheep gets up quickly so that he doesn’t miss cycling to school with his mates. Eli is next to rise, getting up relatively easily, if it is only to quench is hunger pangs. Max leaves getting out of bed until the very last possible moment and only after receiving intense nagging from me and threats from his brothers. In his defence climbing down from a five foot high metal bed and negotiating a cold ladder wouldn’t be my idea of waking up either.

From 7am to 7.30am I am standing in my kitchen, by the toaster, making endless rounds of toast and/or muffins. Max will frequently request a muffin and then toast for his ‘pudding’. Whilst making toast I’ll eat my breakie standing up, listening to Moylesy and preparing lunches. Pack ups for Eli and Max and salad for me. The boys’ pack ups are huge. They’re bigger than any other pack lunch I’ve ever seen a minor take to school. They’re healthy (in the most part) and are a never ending source of imagination exercise for me as I agonise on how to keep them interesting. Anyway, this weeks’ favourite roll filler is cheese and salad cream and I baked some homemade flapjacks hoping to a) add variety and b) keep costs down. Needless to say none of the boys like my flapjacks and yes, they were in the oven for a few minutes too long, granted, but they’re full of good stuff, seeds and oats and honey … the birds will think it’s Christmas come early.

Ellis and Max went to a friend’s birthday party after school so Luke and I not only had peace and quiet for a couple of hours (we watched stunt bikes on YouTube and I desperately tried to sound impressed and cool at the same time) and we also enjoyed a meal together. I wasn’t arsed to cook for just the two of us (the more peeps in the house the less inclined you are to cook when numbers diminish. I can imagine a family of six reduced to four one evening and mum saying ‘oh, it’s really not worth cooking for just the four of us…!) I had some - when I say some I mean loads - reduced price ready meal curries in the freezer and so let him choose what he wanted. He chose chicken tikka masala, which we ate on our laps watching Friends, how very Friday night!

4 comments:

Andy said...

Yep packed lunches for school are a nightmare. From the crusts are to hard or the cheese has gone soft to it got squashed in my bag. Been there many many times.

Unknown said...

Hi Andy,

I'm almost past caring now, the kids only go and swap their food with their mates anyway!
And yes, I threw the very over-cooked flapjack out to the birds this morning...!

sparkx said...

Another reason to looove the Academy, freshly cooked choice of lovely dinners, there's always something they like, believe me, my Jack is a fussy one ....no more failed depressing sad looking pack ups to do, absolute bliss x

Unknown said...

I'm with you there Lynn, just not looking foward to the £100 bill for it every month once Ellis gets there too!! Mind you, that's for breakie too, not that luke touches the stuff, bring it home for me, I say! x