Sunday 22 March 2009

Mother's Day!

This is a first this year; I’m sitting on my patio, in the sunshine, with lappie and nettle tea, the cat, sans plaster, is sitting next to me and we’re both squinting in the sunlight. I have washing gently swaying on the line, I can smell my earthy garden, can hear children playing a few doors away and some poor soul is hoovering. I can hear birds too, I get a lot of birds in my back garden.

So I woke up this morning, with cat, and the house was quiet at 7.30am. I am cooking a big roast for my mum and sister later so I got up to put the joint (pork actually) in the oven. Whilst waiting for the oven to heat up I emptied the washing machine, pegged out some clothes, emptied the bin, put more laundry on, tidied up the bit of mess from last night’s (Wierd Walker’s) crisps/red wine/curry fest and then made myself a cup of strong coffee and a cup of nettle tea and took both back to bed.

Within the hour I could hear stirrings and before long I could hear clanking coming from the kitchen – and the microwave kept pinging!!!! Nobody, I mean NOBODY, but myself ever uses the microwave so I got excited realising that Mother’s day was not forgotten and that I was going to have a feast brought to me in my bed! Half an hour went by, the microwave pinging every minute or so. Nothing was brought to me and so I waited patiently in bed, with my lappie reading the sad news of the day. A good time later my entire brood walked in, in a varying state of undress, Eli carrying toast and coffee, Max with cards (see pic!) and flowers and chocs and Luke with a hyacinth pot and floating candles....ah, I grin as I am pleased and they’re happy because I look happy with their gifts.

‘So what was being made in the microwave?’ I ask.

Eli explained that he tried to make me scrambled egg ‘but it turned out wrong’. Hmmm, probably something to do with the fact that he nuked the egg for about half an hour, but no matter. Jam and Marmite are lovely.



2 comments:

Andy said...

Its the thought that counts and at least they made the effort.
Andy

Unknown said...

yes, they did, and I loved their efforts, they made me smile.