Monday 19 January 2009

Starting over

Lynbo commented on my previous posts about selling up (wave to Lynn) and I just need to clarify things on here.

Regarding selling up, viewing is strictly by appointment only, ie ,when I'm at work and the ‘viewers’ can comment on my home when I can’t hear them. I won’t ever meet the people who look around my home, sneering at the carpets that need replacing or the single glazed windows (I do have some double glazed but the rear half of my house is stuck in the 50s). I won’t ever hear their comments about my dark coloured kitchen units (fucking expensive Sagga ones actually, not to everyone’s taste, granted, but quality nonetheless) or that the bathroom is titchy (I’ll have you know that all four of us, yes FOUR of us, do our hair/make up/teeth in that bathroom together every morning!). I won’t, thank a god, hear the words ‘No, it’s not for me, I’ll make an offer on the other house I saw’.

But hang on a minute. I bought this house so I'm pretty hopeful that someone else will also fall in love with it. Someone else will see its charm and will appreciate the big rooms. Another person will see the early tulips bulbs poking through the soil and will see my peony budding and the early signs of hydranga’s blooms. I know that before its time is over another family will live here, enjoy a baby’s first Christmas, maybe even another birth, first steps, first school.

I bought this house with love, my children were conceived, born and brought up here. My marriage started and ended here. I learnt to cook here. I fumbled around in the garden here until I learnt which plants grew where. I scraped wallpaper off every single wall (and some ceilings) and papered and painted every square inch myself at some point over the years. I’ve had 15 Christmases here, 15 birthdays and many, many more children’s parties here. I’ve cried here and I’ve died here and I’ve worked my balls off to pay the mortgage to stay here, working every second I had, cleaning toilets, ironing shirts, transcribing shitty tapes and scrubbing classroom floors. I worked in the office when my baby was 7 weeks old so that I had enough cash to keep our house going, putting Max into nursery when he was 3 months old because I would have been damned if I was going to claim benefits and get evicted. Oh yes, I will be sad to go Lynn, I cry every single time I think about having to walk out of here for the last time but in all honestly this house has given me everything anyone could ever want and it’s made me who I am. But it’s not perfect so I don’t expect everyone to love it.

Besides, I'm on the way to a life with MM, and so I'm happy to give up Chez Nous to build a new one with my man.

Awww, shucks, didn’t realise I was such a softie, don't tell anyone!

1 comment:

sparkx said...

*waves back
I'm sure your new home will bring you a million more happy memories.
xx Lynbo xx