Monday 29 September 2008

Shaun the Sheep


I have just spent a delightful 20 minutes with my eldest. It was our 4 weekly ritual of cutting his hair (we’re so busy most days that Luke has to book an appointment!)

So we settle down in the kitchen and I clip his hair with the clippers up to the crown and then scissor the top and sides. His hair is really thick and takes me quite a while to do evenly. I positively make the most of my captured first born as it’s not very often he sits still and talks to me!

We discussed his friends’ haircuts and I do chuckle at the fact that Luke actually pretends to his friends that he goes to the barbers have his hair cut – admitting that your mum does it is secondary school suicide apparently. But whilst he would be the laughing stock if his mates knew that it was mum that did his barnet he does appreciate that I do a good job, albeit self taught and with plenty of less than satisfactory practises behind us….

Luke sits on the dining chair, happily chatting away about how his hair cut will be admired by the boys (‘did the ginger guy do it for you? He’s put a box shape in it’) and noticed by the girls. Luke is unashamedly a sheep and will do whatever is required to be accepted and liked. Me, being me and demanding answers and explanations to everything, used to be very fearful of Luke’s future for having such a, what I thought, narrow minded view of the world. I’ve always promoted questioning and being individual and, above all, autonomy.

Now Luke’s at big school I’ve mellowed. He’s so happy having a large set of friends, he’s popular and I'm grateful for that. In my day the kid with the divorced parents were the unpopular (often poor) ones that made their lonely way home on the bus on their own. I see Luke with his friends and he’s in his element. He’s a lucky boy.

I'm happy that he likes my haircut, even if he does pretend to his mates that a bloke did it at that cool place opposite the train station for 15(!) quid!

No comments: