Saturday 27 September 2008

Saturdays and Football


Saturdays are Dad's day, ie the boys spend the day with their father. He lives a few short miles away and the boys are very close to him. By 10am my boys have been collected and are usually on their way to Eli's football match. I would ordinarily get on with the business that is 'me time' however today I wanted my 'me time' to be spent enjoying my boys, or at least being a supporter on the touch line. This morning was beautiful and sunny and crips and fresh and warm and I enjoyed watching (most of) the match, even though, despite having been a footie mum for 8 years now, I still do not understand most of the rules...I don't need to and in fact, I've decided that it's better that I'm ignorant as it keeps me slightly removed from what is the boys' and their dad's shared interest. I enjoy watching X-Factor on a Saturday night with the boys, Dad enjoys footie with them.

Also, being so girlie and useless (Luke actually encouraged me to try some keepie upies this morning and was very disappointed, frustrated and ultimately embarrassed by me) means that my boys really do impress me even more. Luke is 12, Ellis nearly 11 and so when they know more about something than I do it fills me with pride that they're growing into young men now. It's so easy to keep a baby image, well toddler at least, in my mind's eye, but days like today, when they're absorbed in a game I don't understand (but nevertheless enjoy watching) and commenting to their dad about 'free kicks' and 'off side' I can stand back and just watch. I'm not involved, I'm just a spectator and in my experience that's usually the best place for a mum to be.

(Photo is of our visit to Wembley stadium last month to watch Soccer Aid, which they enjoyed even with me being more interested in the mexican wave than of the match...!)

No comments: