Tuesday 30 September 2008

Point in case


Luke has just waltzed downstairs with an armful of dirty football kit (note the time) and the suggestion of mild panic across his face, and said, I quote ‘will this be washed and dry for tomorrow morning?’

‘Will this be washed and dry for tomorrow morning’ !!!!

Whilst I crouched by the washing machine, waiting for the door to release – it does not like being disturbed once it’s got up to the programmed drying temperatures, drying cushion covers is so much nicer than washing filthy LFC kits – Luke also requested that I iron his ‘going out’ t-shirt as he’s got a birthday dinner to go to tomorrow. I did ask why he couldn’t do it.

‘Cos I don’t know how to.’
‘So you could make the effort to learn how.’
No audible response.
‘You can do loads of things if you take the time to learn’ I say.
‘But I know loads of things, I'm clever already. I know how to do some things that you don’t Mum’.
‘Yes Luke, but there’s nothing that you can do that I can’t learn’.

I was pleased with my reply and hoped that it would be one of those comments that would stick in his mind forever and be a vital building block of his eventual well rounded personality.


But of course he piped up with something about playing sodding football…. I’ll shut up and concede that the point was missed entirely and I’ll get on with ironing the shirt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, keep it up. I have my 2 boys, 18 and 12, and a husband (who incidently is my third child) I have enough to cope with with them lot, I admire your stamina, dedication and love for your boys
Lynn BS (from TA)

Yikingtons said...

One gran taught me the ironing. The other gran the cooking, the grandad taught me the growing things in the garden thing. They make it far more interesting than parent people can.